[arin-ppml] Revised - ARIN-2023-8: Reduce 4.1.8 Maximum Allocation

David Conrad drc at virtualized.org
Wed Feb 21 13:07:49 EST 2024

Fernando,

On Feb 21, 2024, at 7:46 AM, Fernando Frediani <fhfrediani at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, 21 Feb 2024, 12:30 Owen DeLong, <owen at delong.com <mailto:owen at delong.com>> wrote:
>> The policy you are proposing is not only the wrong thing to do (see above), it is also quite trivially worked around. One can legitimately spin up an organization for a few hundred dollars and a few hours of work.
>
> That's a theory you have without knowing ARIN tools and possibilities.

In another sign of the apocalypse, I agree with Owen.

If a new company is set up and obtains address space via the waitlist, your desire to limit allocations to “newcomers” would appear to have been met. If that company was then acquired by an organization that already had address space, what would you have ARIN do?

(This is, in fact, how many addresses were transferred prior to the RIRs acknowledging “transfers" occur, i.e., before 2011)

> It is the interest of community that more organizarions and consequently users can connect to the Internet, develop new business and make up new technology and it is fair to think to make things to keep fitting newcomers to this industry.

You appear to be arguing that existing address holders do not connect users to the Internet, develop new businesses, nor make up new technologies. Really?

Regards,
-drc