[arin-ppml] Revised - ARIN-2023-8: Reduce 4.1.8 Maximum Allocation

Denis Motova dmotova at brcrude.com
Fri Feb 16 11:52:37 EST 2024

Hello everyone,

I want to express my gratitude to all who are actively engaged in this policy discussion. It's heartening to witness such collaborative efforts toward shaping our future.

Allow me to share my perspective on the proposal. While I recognize the pressing issue of an expanding waiting list, I have reservations about the suggested reduction from a /22 to a /24. Here's why:

A. Decreasing the allocation to a /24 means that new allocation holders would receive a minuscule network, hardly sufficient for small to mid-sized deployments. With just 256 IPs, the allocation quickly diminishes when configuring public networks and routing setups. Even simple configurations like Router --> Aggregation Switch --> Distribution Switch result in IP losses, let alone VLAN setups.

B. Consider scenarios where customers require dedicated IP addresses for specific server connections or subdomains. Such requirements demand adequate IP resources.

There are numerous examples demonstrating that a /24 allocation is too restrictive and lacks the flexibility needed. Additionally, concerns arise regarding the growing routing tables due to IPv4 shortages, necessitating frequent announcements like /24, /23, /22.

In my view, it appears counterproductive to allocate such limited resources unless the sole purpose is to clear the waiting list. I believe IP allocations should offer practical utility to members, and the current policy strikes an appropriate balance. I advocate for maintaining the current /22 allocation, as it serves its purpose effectively. Lowering it may yield superficial improvements in waiting list numbers but offers little practical benefit.

Thank you all for your valuable insights and contributions.