[arin-ppml] ARIN-2023-8 - Reduce 4.1.8 Maximum Allocation

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Wed Aug 14 15:58:12 EDT 2024

On Wed, Aug 14, 2024 at 12:46 AM Gerry E.. George <ggeorge at digisolv.com> wrote:
> As  a co-shepherd on policy 2023-8 (Gerry George & Brian Jones) on
> Draft Policy ARIN-2023-8: Reduce 4.1.8 Maximum Allocation, I'm reaching
> out for additional feedback from the community on this policy following the
> robust discussions at and since ARIN-53.

Hi Gerry,

The wait list system is not really sane. If your need can afford to
wait three years to fulfill it with addresses, how does that not say
everything that needs to be said about its legitimacy?

I'd like to see a concrete proposal along the lines of releasing
waitlist addresses to the brokers for sale or directly auctioning them
off as they become available. Maybe the mechanics won't work out, but
I'd like to see it and consider whether it's a reasonable idea after
the details are ironed out. Since these are returned blocks,
auctioning them explicitly would also allow bidders to evaluate their
reputation history when making an offer rather than getting stuck with
whatever random block comes up.

In the interests of fairness to the folks who joined the wait list in
good faith, perhaps limit the first few auctions to folks already on
the waitlist before opening it up to the public at large.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin