[arin-ppml] Request for Feedback: Draft Policy ARIN-2024-8 Restrict the Largest Initial IPv6 Allocation to /20

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Aug 13 14:38:51 EDT 2024

On Mon, Aug 12, 2024 at 12:12 PM Elizabeth Goodson
<elizabeth.goodson at gmail.com> wrote:
> As lead shepherd on ARIN-2024-8, I'm reaching out for additional feedback from the community on this policy following the robust discussion here in June.
>
> The previous discussion did not come to a clear community consensus with opinions falling in multiple categories (in no particular order):
> - /20 is a reasonable limit, support the Draft Policy as written
> - /16 is a reasonable limit, keep current NRPM

I continue to struggle to imagine a not-grossly-wasteful justification
for a single organization to require more than a /20 of IPv6 address
space. Doubly so for an *initial* allocation where the registrant does
not have long expertise with IPv6.

> Policy Statement:
> 6.5.2.1b: Replace "In no case shall an ISP receive more than a /16 initial allocation." with "In no case shall a LIR receive more than a /20 initial allocation."

I support the proposed policy as written.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin