[arin-ppml] AC candidates

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Sat Aug 10 18:52:24 EDT 2024

On Sat, Aug 10, 2024 at 10:46 AM Cj Aronson <cja at daydream.com> wrote:
> I would like to add here (as someone who was on the AC through all the
> changes of the policy process) the original policy process was very
> difficult for the AC because we often could not get the author to participate
> in the process and so policies that the community wanted and needed
> would languish.  It was very frustrating and the process changed because of it.

Hi Cathy,

Of this I have no doubt. I would have supported more modest changes to
the IRPEP like allowing the AC to determine a proposal abandoned by
its author, allowing an author to cede a proposal to the AC for
further development and allowing the AC to advance a comparable
proposal of their own if after a meeting the original failed to gather
consensus. There was room for improvement in the IRPEP. The board
ditched it for the PDP instead.

> I do not think there is a single AC member who isn't willing to
> work with the author and at least when I was on the AC that
> was always our priority and we worked hard to do that.

How many proposals would you say survive the process without the AC
changing something about the text? Keeping what they understand to be
the meaning of the proposal,of course, but changing the text? Is the
number larger than zero?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--