[arin-ppml] AC Candidates (Chris Tacit)

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Oct 27 13:22:20 EDT 2023

On Fri, Oct 27, 2023 at 9:46 AM Leif Sawyer <lsawyer at gci.com> wrote:
> you can't
> evaluate each AC member based on their public interactions here on the mailing list,

Hi Leif,

Not only can I do so, when I voted I did.  I regret only that because
I procrastinated until the last minute, many of my colleagues will
have already voted without considering this vector.

> that in itself is in no way indicative of their experience or ability to shepherd policies
> in a fair and impartial manner.

As I previously stated, I think the notion that AC members are mere
shepherds is a farce. The AC is the body that writes and develops
policy for ARIN. It hasn't been driven by the general public, with the
AC merely operating as shepherds, for many years now.

> All that said, if you feel strongly that AC members need to post and interact with
> the community as part of their duties- as current chair, I can take that under
> advisement and look for additional community support for that stance, and then
> work with the Board of Trustees and Staff & Legal, prior to addressing any potential changes.

I believe that prior interaction with each segment of the community,
outside of their duties as AC, should be a hard requirement for rating
a candidate as "qualified" during the elections process.
Quantitatively? Start with something simple: one policy-related post
to PPML while not an AC member and you have to speak at the mike at
least once at an ARIN meeting. Else you're rated "qualifications not
demonstrated."

Surely that's not too much to ask of folks who would serve on the AC?

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin