[arin-ppml] AC candidates

Martin Hannigan hannigan at gmail.com
Thu Oct 26 18:54:48 EDT 2023

On Thu, Oct 26, 2023 at 12:11 PM Dustin Moses <dmoses at intermaxteam.com>
wrote:

> Hi Bill,
>
> I agree with you that having a candidate disclose a potential COI is a
> major point, the reality is in a multi-stakeholder community led
> organization such as ARIN, wouldn't most qualified candidates have a
> conflict of interest when it comes to policy? I think there is a fair
> handed approach to the multiple mindset approach that is the AC as well as
> policy that is actively driven by community participation. If you see
> policy that seems skewed, then actively deny it in the PPML and at the
> general meeting. This is a benefit of the open Policy Development Process
> that ARIN has adopted recently. Unless there is clear "industry takeover"
> of multiple candidates in the same space, I don't really see the conflict
> of interest but rather a separate state of opinion.
>
> I think it is great you are asking for candidates to participate in a
> public forum of opinion and get to hear the words directly from the
> candidates themselves. I am sure other people have had similar concerns and
> the PPML is a great way to raise them.

Almost every member of the AC and Board works for a company that is either
transferring (buy or sell) IPv4 addresses, on the waitlist, consulting on
obtaining number resources or just plain "needers". Most have some or all
their responsibilities around it. I'm not all saying the members or
candidates don't have integrity, I'm saying that the conflicts are more
real than some would like to believe. One only has to view the list of
transfers between buyers or look at the waitlist to scope the size of a
conflict. Personally, it feels like the biggest challenge and risk around
conflicts is having more than one person on the entire body from a single
company or its controlled entities.

Warm regards,

-M<