[arin-ppml] AC candidates

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Oct 26 12:42:14 EDT 2023

> On Oct 26, 2023, at 12:20 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
> It plummeted after the Board changed the AC's role from shepherding
> policy proposals to developing policy proposals.

There is no material change in the role of the ARIN AC in this regard –
although I do agree that the role of the ARIN AC in shepherding policies
has been made clearer with subsequent updates to the ARIN Policy
Development Process (PDP).

> IMO, one of the worst decisions the board has made. Why should any
> member of the general public make the effort to craft a proposal when
> it's going to be committeed to death before it can come to a consensus
> call?

It is true that the ARIN AC is responsible for shepherding all draft policies in the
policy development process, and this includes holding the “editor’s pen” when it
comes to making changes to draft policies.  This has always been the case, but
updates to the PDP have made this clearer over the years.

Any member of the community can submit a policy proposal, and there are petition
options at each stage of the process if one wishes to overturn the actions of the
member-elected ARIN AC in its handling of policy proposals or draft policies

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO