[arin-ppml] Advisory Council Meeting Results - November 2023

Roman Tatarnikov roman at intlos.org
Wed Nov 22 19:48:04 EST 2023

I believe I briefly talked about it at ARIN52.

Essentially, I understand that adoption of IPv6 takes time and has obstacles. However, the technology that doesn't support it is almost non-existent this days. So it really is not a technological obstacle, but more of organizational one.

One would assume that ISPs have figured IPv6 by now and deployed it. However, the number of tiny WISPs & co who are still struggling with it is... quite sad. Especially when their whole reason is "we have no idea what it is or who to use it".

ISPs should really be kept to a higher standard, they should be the ones to set examples for their clients. Because no matter who wants to deploy IPv6, if their ISP doesn't know how to handle it, those hopes are doomed.

And now, we're talking about IXP. A place where ISPs, who supposed to know how to do IPv6 by now, come together. Instead of putting a lipstick on a zombie (IPv4), we should focus on moving everyone to IPv6.

--
Roman V Tatarnikov | https://linkedin.com/in/rtatarnikov