[arin-ppml] Sections 6.4.1 and 6.4.2 - Potential Simplification (from the NRPM Working Group)

owen@Delong.com owen at delong.com
Tue Nov 21 20:54:49 EST 2023

> On Nov 20, 2023, at 12:59, Christian Tacit <ctacit at tacitlaw.com> wrote:
>
> Dear ARIN Community Members,
>
> In our continuing effort to simplify the NRPM, we are also considering the retirement of sections 6.4.1 and 6.4.2.
>
> We believe that section 6.4.1 is out of scope since it constitutes a legal conclusion regarding IPv6 addresses not constituting property, rather than policy. Section 6.4.2 is a general statement regarding the lack of guarantee of the routability of address space and also provides that RIRs (and not just ARIN) “must apply procedures that reduce the possibility of fragmented address space which may lead to a loss of routability”. To the extent that this section validly articulates policy statements, it applies more broadly to both IPv4 and IPv6 resources, and the statement in the NRMP should only apply to ARIN. In fact, a proper routability constraint statement limited to ARIN is already embedded in Section 1.3 of the NRPM, and thus not needed in Section 6.”
>
> Community feedback and any proposals to address these sections are welcome.”

All valid points. The legal conclusion can be left to the RSA or anywhere else ARIN’s lawyers which to stick it.

Removing it from the NRPM makes sense to me.

6.4.2 needs to at least keep the following key details:
	+	ARIN must apply procedures to minimize fragmentation of the address space
	+	AIRN cannot guarantee that any block can be routed or will be accepted by any particular peer.

Since we don’t have a section of the policy manual for things that apply broadly to IPv4 and IPv6, we have, traditionally, duplicated them in sections 4 and 6, which I think is fine. Preventing fragmentation in IPv4 is already a lost cause at this point, so it is what it is.

Owen