[arin-ppml] Policy Experience Report Working Group Leasing Question

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon May 8 19:27:12 EDT 2023

On Mon, May 8, 2023 at 4:22 PM Fernando Frediani <fhfrediani at gmail.com> wrote:
> A customer who holds an ASN and is a ARIN member should not
> get IP space to announce with their own ASN from the ISP provider
> but directly with ARIN in all cases.

You are 100% guaranteed to lose that fight. Don't tie address leasing
policy to it unless you want to lose that fight too.

Also, bear in mind that the customer doesn't need their own ASN to
announce an address block. I was at a NANOG some years ago where one
of the sessions was a tutorial on how to announce to your upstreams
with a private AS and have them strip the private AS so that to the
Internet you're announcing from multiple origin ASes. While unusual,
it is a completely valid way to operate.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin