[arin-ppml] Policy Experience Report Working Group Leasing Question

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Sun May 7 20:57:37 EDT 2023

I’m no lawyer, but 501c14s, state chartered credit unions, and 501c6s,
business leagues and how ARIN is organized, have significantly different
purposes and rules. Could ARIN auction the waiting list resources, maybe,
but it’s likely to be the cause for a significant review by the IRS. With
such a review, there is a risk, significant in my opinion, the auction
could be ruled a non-exempt business activity, and risk ARIN’s tax exempt
status. In any case, this is really a matter for the ARIN board and not
really a policy discussion.

Thanks.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952