[arin-ppml] Policy Experience Report Working Group

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri May 5 16:45:56 EDT 2023

On Fri, May 5, 2023 at 12:54 PM Dustin Moses <dmoses at intermaxteam.com> wrote:
> Also, I don’t see anywhere in the existing NRPM where an leasing is defined. If there was new policy added to address this related to waitlist Ips in section 4.1.8, leasing would also need to be defined additionally in the NRPM, likely in section 2.

Hi Dustin,

The longstanding convention is that the ONLY reason someone is allowed
to register addresses to be used by someone else is because they're
also the ones implementing the network the other party uses. This goes
back to the '90s when we were all trying to keep the BGP routers from
exploding by preventing folks from getting provider-independent
address blocks. It's the origin of the whole allocation / assignment,
ISP / end user dichotomy in the public policy structure.

Address leasing defies that convention.

The problem with changing the convention -now- is that it'd be grossly
unfair to all the folks who for two and a half decades were denied
IPv4 assignments from ARIN until, oh look at that, the IP addresses
are all gone.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--