[arin-ppml] Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2022-11: Clean-up of NRPM – Introduction of Section 2.17

Sylvain Baya abscoco at gmail.com
Sun Mar 26 05:27:13 EDT 2023

Dear ARIN-PPML WG,

Hope this email finds you in good health.

Please see my comments below, inline...
Thanks.

Le mercredi 22 mars 2023, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> a écrit :

> [...]
>
> The very first sentence of RFC 7020 reads as follows -
>
> *This document provides information about the current Internet Numbers
> Registry System used in the distribution of globally unique Internet
> Protocol (IP) address space and autonomous system (AS) numbers.*
>
> making the context obvious and the level of inference necessary rather
> trivial.
>
> However, if you believe that the proposed definition can be improved,

Hi John,
Thanks for your email, brother.

...i agree with Bill and David, that the definition in
draft policy ARIN-2022-11 should not include a not
yet defined term like 'identifiers'; implying a use, in
particular (then why not locators too?), imho :-/

> you should suggest specific wording changes

...i really appreciate the efforts which transpire
from the definition provided by Bill and interestingly
 reworded by David; but, i'm not fully satisfy :-/

Please do accept to consider an other alternative;
worded in a naive try to better capture what we
know about Internet Number Resources.

<INR-alternative-definition#2>
Definitions

Internet Numbers

Internet Numbers (IN) are those which are stored into the registries listed
and defined in RFC7249 [1].
__
[1]: RFC7249 - Internet Numbers Registries <
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7249>

Internet Number Resources

Internet Number Resources (INR) are the scarce resources, mentionned in
RFC7020 [2], and uniquely allocated from the central Internet Numbers
registries [1]; in order to be responsibly (based on global & regional
Policies) distributed through the Internet Numbers Registry System (INRS)
[2], and used in networking design, operations and testing (research,
measurement).

INRs are, practically, allocated from the central registries of Internet
Numbers [1] and delegated to the Regional Internet Registries (RIR) for
responsible distribution (assignment/allocation) to Local Internet
Registries (LIR), ISPs and End Users, in need basis, in order to
addressing, operating and testing (including research & measurement
activities) their networks.
__
[2]: RFC7020 - Internet Numbers Registry System <
https://datatracker.ietf.org/doc/html/rfc7020>
</INR-alternative-definition#2>

...i prefer a more generic approach, to keep a  stable
 terminology, even in case of future type of INRs :-)

btw, it's free!
...then, please, feel free to amend or modify it at will ;-)

Please let me also know, if you think that approach
is wrong :'-(

Shalom,
--sb.

--