[arin-ppml] Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2022-11: Clean-up of NRPM – Introduction of Section 2.17

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Wed Mar 22 14:48:13 EDT 2023

Yes, there are always trade-offs. Nevertheless, I still think the solution
to this problem requires a more holistic view of section 2.

Looking at this more, I have the following suggestion;

Rewrite the introductory paragraph to section 2 as follows;

Networks of all sizes and types require integers to identify devices within
the network. The global Internet requires identifiers that are globally
unique. These globally unique identifiers are known as Internet number
resources, consisting of Internet Protocol (IP) addresses, both versions
four (4) and six (6), and Autonomous System Numbers (ASNs). They are
globally distributed and managed hierarchically in accordance with the
following diagram;

Bullet list and diagram:

2.17  Internet number resources are unique identifiers within the Internet
Numbers Registry System [as described in IETF RFC 7020], and this includes
ranges (or blocks) of contiguous Internet Protocol (IP) addresses and
Autonomous System Numbers (ASNs).

Thanks

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952