[arin-ppml] Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2022-11: Clean-up of NRPM – Introduction of Section 2.17

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Mar 21 20:33:50 EDT 2023

On Tue, Mar 21, 2023 at 4:57 PM Matthew Wilder <matthew.wilder at telus.com> wrote:
> Speaking for myself here, not on behalf of ARIN AC, nor even NRPM WG, but as myself only.
>
> The shepherds alerted me of your concern, so I hope to provide
> you at least with the assurance that your feedback was indeed
> noted. Personally I think identifier is a self-explanatory term in
> respect to the Internet and related technologies and standards.
> I also find that RFC 7020 provides enough additional information
> for the more curious minded in the community.

Hi Matthew,

The backhanded reference to RFC 7020 is part of the problem with the
policy draft. Internet Registries are already defined in sections 2.1
through 2.4. They shouldn't be redefined in the proposed 2.17.

Worse still: RFC 7020 never explicitly defines Internet Numbers or
Internet Number Resources, the thing section 2.17 is trying to
explain. It defines the "Internet Numbers Registry System." A reader
can infer through context that Internet Number Resources are IP
addresses and AS numbers, just as they can with the NRPM, but RFC 7020
never actually says so.

> I hope to clarify that the recommended draft policy has not been
> advanced to the board for adoption yet, and still sits with the AC.

According to the PDP, the recommended draft phase is the last one
before board adoption. The policy advanced to this stage is already
"fully developed" and "recommended for adoption."

IMHO, the proposed definition is poorly written. The only thing it
should be recommended for is a competent rewrite.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
For hire. https://bill.herrin.us/resume/