[arin-ppml] RPKI for Reallocations

Brian Knight ml at knight-networks.com
Sun Jun 25 14:06:47 EDT 2023

Hi Owen,

If I understand the below right, the assigner / upstream may delegate
authority (create ROAs) to originate the route, but may not delegate
management of that authority to the assignee.

I'm saying it may be helpful to have delegation of management as well.
If I, the assigner, could perhaps issue a cryptographic delegation of
management to an assignee for specific prefixes A, B, ..., N, I no
longer have to manage the delegation of authority (the ROAs) on behalf
of my customer; my customer can just create & manage it themselves.

Perhaps combined with that cryptographic object from the assigner, an
assignee's ROAs for those prefixes could be validated. The assigner is
still attesting to the validity of the assignment, just indirectly. The
cryptographic object I'm imagining would state that the assigner
delegates management of a set of prefixes to an assignee, establishing a
chain of trust between the two.

Managing ROAs isn't an onerous workload for me in particular. But it may
be for others. It would also more closely match what is possible in IRR.

-Brian