[arin-ppml] RPKI for Reallocations

August Yang ayang at august.tw
Fri Jun 23 13:03:17 EDT 2023

Current hosted RPKI implementations across all RIRs follow a
hierarchical structure, where access to manage ROAs terminates at the
party directly allocated corresponding resources. IPv6 reverse DNS is
another example. If you've received a small IPv6 subnet through
reallocation, you may face similar restrictions in managing name servers
through ARIN Online, necessitating contact with the LIR/ISP responsible.

To address the limitation, one solution is to implement a delegated RPKI
setup at LIR/ISP level. This allows the chain of trust to be extended to
end users, granting more control over the specific IP resources
reallocated. See https://www.arin.net/resources/manage/rpki/delegated/

It's worth noting that this issue primarily stems from technical
constraints of the hosted RPKI implementation, rather than being a
direct policy matter related to NRPM. There's an opportunity for ARIN to
consider adapting its hosted setup to align with the allocation
structure in whois database. This integration could facilitate better
RPKI adoption.

--
Best regards
August Yang