[arin-ppml] implementing RPKI prefix validation actually increases risk

Michel Py michel at arneill-py.sacramento.ca.us
Wed Jun 7 01:13:27 EDT 2023

In private...

> Can you articulate something ARIN could do which would improve the basic fact that configuring and maintaining cryptographic validation systems is technically challenging?

Private shame on Cisco to do something better than a half-baked implementation that breaks things ?
If ARIN wants RPKI deployed, ARIN needs to understand that RPKI does not have much of a business case that executives can see, and that if it breaks even slightly security it's going to end nowhere.

What do you say to orgs who give a lot of money to SpamHaus and other pricey feeds and suddenly see them ineffective because of a cheezy RPKI implementation? They won't touch it again for years and tell everyone to stay away from it.

Michel