[arin-ppml] Tenfold fee increases?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Fri Jun 2 13:34:30 EDT 2023

On Fri, Jun 2, 2023 at 5:15 AM Bill Woodcock <woody at pch.net> wrote:
> I was completely against commercial brokerage of
> IP addresses, as a matter of principle.  I believed
> that IP addresses, when no longer needed, should
> be returned to the RIR for redistribution as needed.

The "legal fiction," so to speak, is that the addresses are not
unused. Rather, they're underutilized and the user is better served by
bringing their current use to a halt and then recouping that cost by
selling them. Because the transfer market funds that useful
repurposing of addresses, it's a good thing.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--
William Herrin