[arin-ppml] IPv6 Multiple Discrete Networks

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Fri Apr 7 18:54:36 EDT 2023

I was reviewing 6.11 (because my organization is probably about to apply for some assignments under this clause), and I discovered an interesting oversight.

It won’t affect our initial application, but 6.11.7 specifically lists utilization being judged against 6.5.2 and 6.5.3, but leaves out 6.5.8, implying that only ISP Allocations can be the subject of an MDN request for additional space. Also, in terms of hierarchy, 6.11.6 and 6.111.7 should probably be 6.11.5.1 and 6.11.5.2, respectively.

I wanted to get some feedback from the community and the AC first, but unless someone has a completely negative reaction, I’ll probably submit a formal proposal with the expectation that it is probably an editorial correction.

I’d also be interested to hear from Sweeting if the current staff implementation of the policy would include users meeting 6.5.8 criteria or if they rigidly stick to 6.5.2 and 6.5.3 for this policy. Specifically, if the current implementation includes 6.5.8, then this could be an editorial change because it wouldn’t change how policy is currently carried out, but if it would change that, then it becomes a policy change which needs to go through the full process.

Owen