[arin-ppml] Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2021-8: Deprecation of the ‘Autonomous System Originations’ Field

David Farmer farmer at umn.edu
Mon Oct 31 23:13:39 EDT 2022

On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 9:47 PM Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com> wrote:

> While it’s true that ARIN does not make the authenticated IRR or RPKI
> available to legacy holders without a contract, those that care
> to publish the information are free to do any of the following:
> + Transfer their legacy resources to RIPE and publish RPKI there
> + Use ALT-DB or another IRR to publish their RPSL statements

Transferring your resources to RIPE will either require a contract with
RIPE if you wish to become an LIR or a contract with a sponsoring LIR. So,
you are probably not doing RPKI without some kind of contract. You may have
some choices on who you contract with, but I see a contract in your
future if you want to do RPKI.

As for ALT-DB that could be an option. However, if content providers start
requiring authenticated IRR information, which is being at least talked
about, then ALT-DB might only be a short-term option.

> I will admit that during the original debate, I opposed the creation of
> this field expecting that it would end up exactly where it is now. Of
> limited
> use and even less accuracy.
>
> IMHO, it’s well past time to recognize this as a failed experiment and
> clean up after it.

The experiment was not a failure, but we have better options now, so I
agree it's time for it to go.

David Farmer               Email:farmer at umn.edu
Networking & Telecommunication Services
Office of Information Technology
University of Minnesota
2218 University Ave SE        Phone: 612-626-0815
Minneapolis, MN 55414-3029   Cell: 612-812-9952