[arin-ppml] Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2021-8: Deprecation of the ‘Autonomous System Originations’ Field

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Nov 1 21:21:34 EDT 2022

> On Nov 1, 2022, at 12:14, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>

>> On 1 Nov 2022, at 3:03 PM, Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com <mailto:owen at delong.com>> wrote:
>>
>>> On Nov 1, 2022, at 05:07, John Curran <jcurran at arin.net <mailto:jcurran at arin.net>> wrote:
>>>
>>> The “double-charging” that you allege was imposed by the ARIN Board of Trustees was actually self-imposed by you; i.e., you chose to maintain separate billing relationships with ARIN in order to continue benefiting from annual maintenance fee cap applicable to services for legacy IPv4 number resources.  This fee cap isn’t applicable to IPv6 number resources nor the registration services fee paid for an organization that consolidates resources under a single registration services plan including non-legacy resources.
>>
>> We will continue to disagree about this, sir.
>>
>> When I made the mistake of signing the LRSA, it was fee per ORG and I maintained a single ORG that had both LRSA and RSA resources and a single billing relationship.
>>
>> When the board pulled the rug out from under that relationship, despite the material adverse change in the relationship, I was not allowed to terminate the LRSA and keep my resources without incurring significant financial penalties and loss of protections that were material to my willingness to sign the LRSA in the first place. Further as a result of that action by the board, ARIN (whether by board decision or by staff choices surrounding the implementation of that decision) chose to bifurcate my organization into two separate organizations for ARIN’s convenience in handling the new billing structure.
>
> Owen -
>
> That was your choice:  you could have consolidated into a single billing relationship if you wished or opted (as you did) to maintain distinct billing relationships in which each relationship was billed for services for a distinct and non-overlapping set of resources.

No, I didn’t want to be bifurcated in the first place… I was given no choice in that, nor was I given the option of vacating the LRSA in light of this material adverse change.

> “Double charging” implies being charged twice for the same services and that was never the situation in any case.

And indeed, services I was previously being charged for once I was now being charged for twice… No change in the services received,
just the billing model. That change wasn’t at my behest, it was an ARIN board decision.

Owen