[arin-ppml] Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2021-8: Deprecation of the ‘Autonomous System Originations’ Field

Owen DeLong owen at delong.com
Tue Nov 1 00:31:56 EDT 2022

> On Oct 31, 2022, at 20:13, David Farmer <farmer at umn.edu> wrote:
>

> On Mon, Oct 31, 2022 at 9:47 PM Owen DeLong <owen at delong.com <mailto:owen at delong.com>> wrote:
>>
>> While it’s true that ARIN does not make the authenticated IRR or RPKI available to legacy holders without a contract, those that care
>> to publish the information are free to do any of the following:
>> 	+	Transfer their legacy resources to RIPE and publish RPKI there
>> 	+	Use ALT-DB or another IRR to publish their RPSL statements
>
> Transferring your resources to RIPE will either require a contract with RIPE if you wish to become an LIR or a contract with a sponsoring LIR. So, you are probably not doing RPKI without some kind of contract. You may have some choices on who you contract with, but I see a contract in your future if you want to do RPKI.

Guess again. For a legacy holder, you can transfer to RIPE as “legacy without contract” and retain your legacy status with no contract whatsoever.

I’ve done it. It got me out of the fee hikes and double-charging that were imposed as a result of the ARIN board’s fee-asco long ago.

> As for ALT-DB that could be an option. However, if content providers start requiring authenticated IRR information, which is being at least talked about, then ALT-DB might only be a short-term option.

I’m sure that if that becomes the case, someone will produce something like ALT-DB with authentication.

>> I will admit that during the original debate, I opposed the creation of this field expecting that it would end up exactly where it is now. Of limited
>> use and even less accuracy.
>>
>> IMHO, it’s well past time to recognize this as a failed experiment and clean up after it.
>
> The experiment was not a failure, but we have better options now, so I agree it's time for it to go.

It certainly wasn’t anything I would call a success. It was never well populated, never terribly accurate, and never widely used.

Owen