[arin-ppml] Revised and Retitled - Draft Policy ARIN-2021-6: Permit IPv4 Leased Addresses for Purposes of Determining Utilization for Future Allocations

John Santos john at egh.com
Fri Mar 11 18:04:52 EST 2022


I disagree.  The addresses are useless unless they ALSO purchase access and 
routing from another network operator.  How is this cheaper?

It is and always has been allowed to lease bundled access of addresses and 
connectivity from a LIR, without any expense for purchasing those addresses.


On 3/11/2022 12:13 PM, Tom Fantacone wrote:
> I support the proposal as written.
> 
> It facilitates the provision of a valuable service to a large swath of the ARIN 
> community, namely the ability of network operators with an operational need to 
> lease IPv4 addresses from 3rd party lessors at a fraction of the cost of 
> purchasing those addresses.  Too often we have seen network operators justify 
> their need for IPv4 space only to find that they can't afford to make the 
> purchase.  They end up using CGNAT or some other sub-optimal solution.
> 
> Bill, regarding your point "B", by providing IPv4 leasing, these 3rd parties are 
> certainly performing a function that ARIN does not.
> 
> 
> 
> ---- On Thu, 10 Mar 2022 17:46:36 -0500 *William Herrin <bill at herrin.us>* wrote ----
> 
>     On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 8:24 PM ARIN <info at arin.net <mailto:info at arin.net>>
>     wrote:
>      > * ARIN-2021-6: Permit IPv4 Leased Addresses for Purposes of Determining
>     Utilization for Future Allocations
> 
>     I continue to OPPOSE this proposal because:
> 
>     A) It asks ARIN to facilitate blatant and unapologetic rent-seeking
>     behavior with changes to public policy.
> 
>     B) It proposes that third parties perform precisely and only the
>     functions that ARIN itself performs without any credible compliance
>     mechanism to assure the third party performs to ARIN's standards or in
>     accordance with the community's established number policy.
> 
>     Regards,
>     Bill Herrin
> 
> 
>     -- 
>     William Herrin
>     bill at herrin.us <mailto:bill at herrin.us>
>     https://bill.herrin.us/ <https://bill.herrin.us/>
>     _______________________________________________
>     ARIN-PPML
>     You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
>     the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net
>     <mailto:ARIN-PPML at arin.net>).
>     Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
>     https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
>     <https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml>
>     Please contact info at arin.net <mailto:info at arin.net> if you experience any
>     issues.
> 
> 
> 
> 
> _______________________________________________
> ARIN-PPML
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
> Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.

-- 
John Santos
Evans Griffiths & Hart, Inc.
781-861-0670 ext 539


More information about the ARIN-PPML mailing list