[arin-ppml] Revised and Retitled - Draft Policy ARIN-2021-6: Permit IPv4 Leased Addresses for Purposes of Determining Utilization for Future Allocations

Fernando Frediani fhfrediani at gmail.com
Fri Mar 11 12:43:27 EST 2022


The justification that one cannot pay for something (make a proper 
Transfer as expected under the current policy) doesn't seem to be a 
valid justification to remove a essential requirement for justifying 
need to usage of those resources that don't belong to them.
The principle of usage justification to become a resource holder doesn't 
take in account if something is expensive or cheap to someone.

Fernando

On 11/03/2022 14:13, Tom Fantacone wrote:
> I support the proposal as written.
>
> It facilitates the provision of a valuable service to a large swath of 
> the ARIN community, namely the ability of network operators with an 
> operational need to lease IPv4 addresses from 3rd party lessors at a 
> fraction of the cost of purchasing those addresses.  Too often we have 
> seen network operators justify their need for IPv4 space only to find 
> that they can't afford to make the purchase.  They end up using CGNAT 
> or some other sub-optimal solution.
>
> Bill, regarding your point "B", by providing IPv4 leasing, these 3rd 
> parties are certainly performing a function that ARIN does not.
>
>
>
> ---- On Thu, 10 Mar 2022 17:46:36 -0500 *William Herrin 
> <bill at herrin.us>* wrote ----
>
>     On Wed, Mar 9, 2022 at 8:24 PM ARIN <info at arin.net> wrote:
>     > * ARIN-2021-6: Permit IPv4 Leased Addresses for Purposes of
>     Determining Utilization for Future Allocations
>
>     I continue to OPPOSE this proposal because:
>
>     A) It asks ARIN to facilitate blatant and unapologetic rent-seeking
>     behavior with changes to public policy.
>
>     B) It proposes that third parties perform precisely and only the
>     functions that ARIN itself performs without any credible compliance
>     mechanism to assure the third party performs to ARIN's standards
>     or in
>     accordance with the community's established number policy.
>
>     Regards,
>     Bill Herrin
>
>
>     -- 
>     William Herrin
>     bill at herrin.us
>     https://bill.herrin.us/
>     _______________________________________________
>     ARIN-PPML
>     You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
>     the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
>     Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
>     https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
>     Please contact info at arin.net if you experience any issues.
>
>
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> ARIN-PPML
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
> Please contactinfo at arin.net  if you experience any issues.
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/attachments/20220311/6a1cdd6d/attachment-0001.htm>


More information about the ARIN-PPML mailing list