[arin-ppml] Revised - Draft Policy ARIN-2021-3: Private AS Number and Unique Routing Policy Clarifications

Jay Hennigan jay at impulse.net
Tue Mar 22 16:39:33 EDT 2022

On 3/8/22 06:51, ARIN wrote:
> The following Draft Policy has been revised:
>
> * ARIN-2021-3: Private AS Number and Unique Routing Policy Clarifications
>
> Revised text is below and can be found at:
>
> https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/drafts/2021_3/
> <https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/drafts/2021_3/>

I concur that "peer" be substituted for "upstream provider" in the first
statement below.

 > To originate announcement of IP Number Resources via an accepted
 > protocol (such as Border Gateway Protocol) from an AS Number
different > than that of its peer;

I think that the word "network" should be substituted for "site" below,
as the multihoming may originate from multiple locations.

 > To multihome a network with one or more Autonomous Systems; or

I'm not sure what value the third statement below offers that isn't
covered by either of the first two, and it seems to weaken the case that
public ASNs must be justified. I suggest removing it unless I'm missing
a use case not covered by either of the previous two.

--
Jay Hennigan  |  jay at impulse.net  |  CCIE #7880  |  WB6RDV
Chief Network Architect  |  Impulse Advanced Communications