[arin-ppml] Recommended Draft Policy ARIN-2021-3: Private AS Number and Unique Routing Policy Clarifications

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Tue Mar 22 14:40:24 EDT 2022

On Tue, Mar 22, 2022 at 10:46 AM Owen DeLong via ARIN-PPML
<arin-ppml at arin.net> wrote:
> Can someone clarify for me the meaningful difference between:
>
> To originate announcement of IP Number Resources via an accepted protocol (such as Border Gateway Protocol) from an AS Number different than that of its upstream provider;
>
> and
>
> To use an AS Number to interconnect with other Autonomous Systems.

Not all BGP users (on or off the Internet) have connections which are
"upstream?"

Suppose you're peering with other IPv6 ULA users off the Internet. You
have your non-colliding IPv6 addresses. Now you need non-colliding AS
numbers too.

-Bill

--
William Herrin