[arin-ppml] Revised and Retitled - Draft Policy ARIN-2021-6: Permit IPv4 Leased Addresses for Purposes of Determining Utilization for Future Allocations

Jay Hennigan jay at impulse.net
Mon Mar 21 19:13:49 EDT 2022

On 3/21/22 16:03, Mike Burns wrote:
> Hi Martin,
>
> We once saw an ipv4 block included among hardware as part of a third
> party lease.
>
> That happened years ago and really was a one-off. Generally nobody will
> recognize IPv4 blocks as assets.
>
> That leaves leasing-out addresses by incumbent address holders as the
> only effective financing mechanism.

I'm curious if ARIN has put any thought into how encouraging leasing
will affect the practice of spammers and other bad actors leasing IPv4
space, turning it into a DNSBL wasteland, lather, rinse, repeat.

--
Jay Hennigan  |  jay at impulse.net  |  CCIE #7880  |  WB6RDV
Chief Network Architect  |  Impulse Advanced Communications