[arin-ppml] Revised and Retitled - Draft Policy ARIN-2021-6: Permit IPv4 Leased Addresses for Purposes of Determining Utilization for Future Allocations

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Mar 21 11:19:31 EDT 2022

Owen -

	Leasing being part of the "economic reality of IPv4 for the foreseeable future” is orthogonal to the ARIN registry – i.e. such an occurrence does not necessarily mean that ARIN should do either of:

		a)  Issue additional IPv4 resources via the wait-list policy to parties for the purpose of leasing to others absent connectivity services

		b)  Take into consideration a purported need based on IPv4 leasing to others (absent connectivity services) when assessing the validity of an 8.3/8.4 transfer request

	It would be good to hear clear arguments on why each of the above changes is warranted; i.e. what is the specific benefit to the ARIN community would be achieved as result.

	(I have no view either way on the merits of the proposed policy, but believe the community should have as much clarity as possible on desired policy outcomes.)

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO