[arin-ppml] Revised and Retitled - Draft Policy ARIN-2021-6: Permit IPv4 Leased Addresses for Purposes of Determining Utilization for Future Allocations

Scott Leibrand scottleibrand at gmail.com
Fri Mar 18 17:46:41 EDT 2022

On Fri, Mar 18, 2022 at 12:39 PM Mike Burns <mike at iptrading.com> wrote:

> Hi Scott,
>

> I am sorry, I actually penned a long reply to  your initial post but never
> sent it.
>
> The limit on initial block size is the same as if you came to ARIN seeking
> a block not for lease, but for your circuit-connected customers. To wit,
> ARIN will require more than just your statement.
>
> What’s to stop a company from claiming they will be delivering service to
> connected clients over the next two years, so they should get a
> pre-approval?

They have to buy equipment and sign contracts for transit to deliver such
service. That equipment is worth far less if re-sold, and those contracts
cost money to terminate.

If literally the only thing I have to purchase to start an IP leasing
company is the addresses themselves, and I expect the addresses to continue
appreciating in value, then I am incentivized to buy the largest block I
can and provide ARIN with extremely optimistic (but not fraudulent) sales
projections showing how I plan to lease it all out. If I fail to lease the
space out as fast as my optimistic plans, I still make a healthy profit on
any price appreciation.

One way to address this might be to require that the documentation to be
provided to ARIN which details the use of at least 50% of the requested
IPv4 block be in the form of binding contracts if the IPv4 space is
intended for reassignment to customers. That way, a speculative lessor can
only start with a /24 or 2x as much IP space as they've already signed up
customers for, and then can come back to ARIN to transfer more as soon as
their customers have efficiently utilized at least 50% of their cumulative
IPv4 space.

If that's the approach we want to take, I think we'd need to modify the
policy to stipulate that.

> The initial size for a section 8 transfer per 8.5.5 is a /24. To get a
> larger initial block, evidence is required that should be equivalent in
> scope and detail regardless of whether the anticipated clients are
> connected with a circuit or not. Are we seeing such fraud by ISPs to
> increase their purchase size?
>

> Finally, if you attest to fraudulent information, you are taking liability
> risks that also dampen speculation.
>

> Regards,
>
> Mike
>
> PS You ignored my request for evidence of speculation at RIPE where
> absolutely no needs demonstration has been required for many years. 😉

It won't discuss in public whether I have observed speculation first-hand,
but I will say that all transactions I'm aware of were above-board and
policy-compliant. I do agree, though, that pure financial speculation is
not driving the overall market price for addresses beyond the difference
between prices for RIPE vs. ARIN space (which is minimal). If the choice
were between RIPE's (lack of) policy and ARIN's current no-leasing-allowed
policy, I'd likely choose RIPE's. But I think a leasing-allowed policy that
limits initial block size and then allows additional transfers based on 50%
utilization would be better than both of those.

-Scott