[arin-ppml] Fwd: [General-members] Changes to 2022 Elections
jcurran at arin.net
Wed Jun 15 09:15:18 EDT 2022
PPML Folks -
After a series of community consultations, ARIN has made several improvements to the election process that will be in effect for 2022 elections.
Details attached below. I note that one significant change is that individuals now self-nominate (this avoids a bit of confusion on the part of those nominated by others at the last minute and their timely questionnaire completion…), and your nomination occurs upon submission of a completed nominee application by the deadline. For those considering running for ARIN elected positions, it will be important to decide that so as to allow yourself enough time for nominee questionnaire completion and submission prior to the deadline.
FYI & Thanks!
President and CEO
American Registry for Internet Numbers
Begin forwarded message:
From: ARIN <info at arin.net<mailto:info at arin.net>>
Subject: [General-members] Changes to 2022 Elections
Date: 15 June 2022 at 8:46:45 AM EDT
To: "general-members at arin.net<mailto:general-members at arin.net>" <general-members at arin.net<mailto:general-members at arin.net>>
In 2021, the ARIN Board dedicated focused effort to the review and improvement of ARIN governance which included multiple recommendations regarding ARIN election processes. In late 2021 and early 2022, we conducted a series of Community Consultations to gather community input on these recommendations. As a result, several changes to the ARIN election processes were approved and adopted by the Board of Trustees on 16 May 2022. We are pleased to announce these changes have been incorporated in ARIN’s Bylaws, version 32, now available at:
We will conduct extensive outreach to inform the ARIN community about these changes as we enter the 2022 election cycle and have summarized them here for the benefit of ARIN General Members.
1. All Individuals are invited to self-nominate to run for the Board of Trustees or Advisory Council. ARIN membership is not required, and all qualified nominees will be put forward on the Initial Slate of Candidates.
2. To strengthen the Board’s capacity to provide strategic and fiscal oversight of ARIN, the size of the Board will increase to ten Trustees by adding one additional elected seat in each of the next three election, starting in 2022.
3. Term limits have been adopted for the Board of Trustees, which will require an individual to take a two-year break from the Board at the conclusion of three consecutive terms. Term limit enforcement will begin starting at the end of 2025.
4. Nomination Changes:
* The initial nomination period has been shortened from 21 to 14 days, with the possibility to be extended an additional 21 days if necessary.
* All Board and Advisory Council nominees will be subject to background checks. All eligible Board nominees will be interviewed by an independent, third-party vendor.
* All nominees will be classified by the Nomination Committee as "Well Qualified," "Qualified", "Qualifications not Demonstrated", or “Unable to Qualify”. Only those judged “Unable to Qualify” will not be put forward on the Initial Slate.
* Classification of nominees will be based on guidance from the Board/AC, responses to the nominee questionnaires, and the third-party background checks and interviews.
* The petition process to be included on the Final Slate of Candidates will only be available to nominees classified as “Unable to Qualify” following the review by the Nomination Committee and publication of the Initial Slate.
We thank everyone who participated in the community consultations that provided the Board feedback on potential changes, and we look forward to your participation in the 2022 ARIN elections.
President and CEO
American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN)
General-members mailing list
General-members at arin.net<mailto:General-members at arin.net>
-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
More information about the ARIN-PPML