[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2022-8: Streamlining Section 11 Policy Language

Andrew Dul andrew.dul at quark.net
Tue Jul 26 20:17:47 EDT 2022


Attached is a redline pdf and resultant text after update which helps 
show the changes which have been suggested to update section11.

Thanks in advance for your feedback on this draft.

Andrew

On 7/26/2022 2:37 PM, ARIN wrote:
>
> On 21 July 2022, the ARIN Advisory Council (AC) accepted 
> "ARIN-prop-316: Streamlining Section 11 Policy Language" as a Draft 
> Policy.
>
> Draft Policy ARIN-2022-8 is below and can be found at:
>
> https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/drafts/2022_8/
>
> You are encouraged to discuss all Draft Policies on PPML. The AC will 
> evaluate the discussion to assess the conformance of this draft policy 
> with ARIN's Principles of Internet number resource policy as stated in 
> the Policy Development Process (PDP). Specifically, these principles are:
>
> * Enabling Fair and Impartial Number Resource Administration
>
> * Technically Sound
>
> * Supported by the Community
>
> The PDP can be found at:
>
> https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/pdp/
>
> Draft Policies and Proposals under discussion can be found at: 
> https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/drafts/
>
> Regards,
>
> Sean Hopkins
>
> Senior Policy Analyst
>
> American Registry for Internet Numbers (ARIN)
>
> Draft Policy ARIN-2022-8: Streamlining Section 11 Policy Language
>
> Problem Statement:
>
> Section 11 of the NRPM contains a great deal of language that is 
> either explicitly not policy, or is not impactful on ARIN’s 
> administration of Internet number resources for experimental 
> allocations, or to the customers requesting said resources. A revision 
> to transform Section 11 into a collection of policies for experimental 
> allocations serves to make the Section more easily digested by the 
> reader, and a more functional reference for customers and ARIN staff 
> during experimental allocation requests.
>
> Policy statement:
>
> Section 11 overview
>
> Current text:
>
> Experimental Internet Resource Allocations
>
> ARIN will allocate Numbering Resources to entities requiring temporary 
> Numbering Resources for a fixed period of time under the terms of 
> recognized experimental activity.
>
> “Numbering Resources” refers to unicast IPv4 or IPv6 address space and 
> Autonomous System numbers. The following are the criteria for this policy:
>
> Proposed text:
>
> ARIN will allocate Numbering Resources to entities requiring temporary 
> Numbering Resources for a fixed period of time under the terms of 
> recognized experimental activity. “Numbering Resources” refers to 
> unicast IPv4 or IPv6 address space and Autonomous System numbers.
>
> The following are the criteria for this policy:
>
> Section 11.1
>
> Current text:
>
> 11.1. Documentation of Recognized Experimental Activity
>
> A Recognized Experimental Activity is one where the experiment’s 
> objectives and practices are described in a publicly accessible 
> document. It is a normal requirement that a Recognized Experimental 
> Activity also includes the undertaking that the experiment’s outcomes 
> be published in a publicly accessible document at the end of the 
> experiment. The conditions for determining the end of the experiment 
> are to be included in the document. Applicants for an experimental 
> allocation are expected to demonstrate an understanding that when the 
> experiment ends, the allocation will be returned; a successful 
> experiment may need a new allocation under normal policies in order to 
> continue in production or commercial use, but will not retain the 
> experimental allocation.
>
> A “publicly accessible document” is a document that is publicly and 
> openly available free of charges and free of any constraints of 
> disclosure.
>
> ARIN will not recognize an experimental activity under this policy if 
> the entire research experiment cannot be publicly disclosed.
>
> ARIN has a strong preference for the recognition of experimental 
> activity documentation in the form of a document which has been 
> approved for publication by the IESG or by a similar mechanism as 
> implemented by the IETF.
>
> Proposed text:
>
> 11.1. Documentation of Recognized Experimental Activity
>
> A Recognized Experimental Activity is one where the experiment’s 
> description and objectives are described in a publicly accessible 
> document. The experiment’s outcomes must be published in a “publicly 
> accessible document” that is publicly and openly available free of 
> charges and free of any constraints of disclosure. Outcomes must be 
> published within one year after the end of the experiment. The 
> conditions for determining the end of the experiment are to be 
> included in the document. When the experiment ends, the allocation 
> will be returned. A successful experiment may need a new allocation 
> under normal policies in order to continue in production or commercial 
> use, but will not retain the experimental allocation.
>
> ARIN will not recognize an experimental activity under this policy if 
> the entire research experiment cannot be publicly disclosed.
>
> Section 11.2
>
> Current text:
>
> 11.2. Technical Coordination
>
> ARIN requires that a recognized experimental activity is able to 
> demonstrate that the activity is technically coordinated.
>
> Technical coordination specifically includes consideration of any 
> potential negative impact of the proposed experiment on the operation 
> of the Internet and its deployed services, and consideration of any 
> related experimental activity.
>
> ARIN will review planned experimental activities to ensure that they 
> are technically coordinated. This review will be conducted with ARIN 
> and/or third-party expertise and will include liaison with the IETF.
>
> Proposed text:
>
> 11.2. Technical Coordination
>
> ARIN requires that a recognized experimental activity is able to 
> demonstrate that the activity is technically coordinated. Technical 
> coordination includes consideration of any potential negative impact 
> of the proposed experiment on the operation of the Internet and its 
> deployed services, and a description of experimenter mitigation plans 
> to contain any negative impacts.
>
> ARIN will review planned experimental activities to ensure that they 
> are technically coordinated. This review will be conducted with ARIN 
> and/or third-party expertise.
>
> Remove Section 11.3
>
> Section 11.4
>
> Current text:
>
> 11.4. Resource Allocation Term and Renewal
>
> The Numbering Resources are allocated for a period of one year. The 
> allocation can be renewed on application to ARIN providing information 
> as per Detail One. The identity and details of the applicant and the 
> allocated Numbering Resources will be published under the conditions 
> of ARIN’s normal publication policy. At the end of the experiment, 
> resources allocated under this policy will be returned to the 
> available pool.
>
> Proposed text:
>
> 11.4. Resource Allocation Term and Renewal
>
> The Numbering Resources are allocated for a period of one year. The 
> allocation can be renewed on application to ARIN providing information 
> as to why an extended time is necessary for a successful experiment. 
> The identity and details of the applicant and the allocated Numbering 
> Resources will be published under the conditions of ARIN’s normal 
> publication policy. At the end of the experiment, resources allocated 
> under this policy will be returned to the available pool.
>
> Section 11.5
>
> Current text:
>
> 11.5. Single Resource Allocation per Experiment
>
> ARIN will make one-off allocations only, on an annual basis to any 
> applicant. Additional allocations to an organization already holding 
> experimental activity resources relating to the specified activity 
> outside the annual cycle will not be made unless justified by a 
> subsequent complete application.
>
> It’s important for the requesting organization to ensure they have 
> sufficient resources requested as part of their initial application 
> for the proposed experimental use.
>
> Proposed text:
>
> 11.5. Single Resource Allocation per Experiment
>
> ARIN will make one-off allocations only, on an annual basis to any 
> applicant. Additional allocations to an organization already holding 
> experimental activity resources relating to the specified activity 
> outside the annual cycle will not be made unless justified by a 
> subsequent complete application.
>
> Section 11.6
>
> Current text:
>
> 11.6. Resource Allocation Fees
>
> ARIN may charge an administration fee to cover each allocation made of 
> these experimental resources. This fee simply covers registration and 
> maintenance, rather than the full allocation process for standard ARIN 
> members. This administration fee should be as low as possible as these 
> requests do not have to undergo the same evaluation process as those 
> requested in the normal policy environment.
>
> Proposed text:
>
> 11.6. Resource Allocation Fees
>
> ARIN may charge an administration fee to cover each allocation made of 
> these experimental resources. This fee simply covers registration and 
> maintenance, rather than the full allocation process for standard ARIN 
> members. This administration fee should be as low as possible as these 
> requests do not have to undergo the same evaluation process as those 
> requested in the normal policy environment.
>
> Section 11.9
>
> Current text:
>
> 11.9. Resource Request Appeal or Arbitration
>
> ARIN reserves the ability to assess and comment on the objectives of 
> the experiment with regard to the requested amount of Numbering 
> Resources and its technical coordination. ARIN reserves the ability to 
> modify the requested allocation as appropriate, and in agreement with 
> the proposer. In the event that the proposed modifications are not 
> acceptable, the requesting organization may request an appeal or 
> arbitration using the normal ARIN procedures. In this case, the 
> original proposer of the experimental activity may be requested to 
> provide additional information regarding the experiment, its 
> objectives and the manner of technical coordination, to assist in the 
> resolution of the appeal.
>
> Proposed text:
>
> 11.9. Resource Request Appeal or Arbitration
>
> ARIN reserves the ability to modify the requested allocation as 
> appropriate, in agreement with the proposer. In the event that the 
> proposed modifications are not acceptable, the requesting organization 
> may request an appeal or arbitration using the normal ARIN procedures. 
> In this case, the original proposer of the experimental activity may 
> be requested to provide additional information regarding the 
> experiment, its objectives and the manner of technical coordination, 
> to assist in the resolution of the appeal.
>
> Timetable for implementation: Immediate
>
>
> _______________________________________________
> ARIN-PPML
> You are receiving this message because you are subscribed to
> the ARIN Public Policy Mailing List (ARIN-PPML at arin.net).
> Unsubscribe or manage your mailing list subscription at:
> https://lists.arin.net/mailman/listinfo/arin-ppml
> Please contactinfo at arin.net  if you experience any issues.

-------------- next part --------------
An HTML attachment was scrubbed...
URL: <https://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/attachments/20220726/1098998d/attachment-0001.htm>
-------------- next part --------------
A non-text attachment was scrubbed...
Name: NRPM Section 11.pdf
Type: application/pdf
Size: 33374 bytes
Desc: not available
URL: <https://lists.arin.net/pipermail/arin-ppml/attachments/20220726/1098998d/attachment-0001.pdf>


More information about the ARIN-PPML mailing list