[arin-ppml] Deceased Companies?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Tue Jul 26 16:44:26 EDT 2022

> On 26 Jul 2022, at 4:32 PM, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:
> … And indeed, if my
> browser's search function is working properly then it would appear that neither the
> word "death" nor the word "dissolution" appears anywhere in the entire NRPM.  Would
> you agree that these terms and/or terms having similar meanings are not mentioned at
> all, either in the NRPM or in the RSA?

Correct - there are many words not referenced in the Number Resource Policy Manual.

> John you _seem_ to be agreeing that that if a corporate entity that was a member and
> resource holder has become dissolved by default (or if natural person which was a
> resource holder has died) and if the relevant resources are still in use, that ARIN
> would, quite reasonably, attempt to make contact with the current user of said resources
> and that ARIN would ask that current user (or those current users) to provide some
> legal documentation which would legally and definitively indicate the identity (or
> the identities) of the heirs, successors, or assigns of the now-former member.  Is
> that a correct reading of your statements, or am I inferring too much?

No, you are not inferring too much  –  your statement is correct regarding resources
reported to ARIN that were issued to an organization that has since dissolved.

> And are you also asserting that in the absence of any timely production of such
> documentation, ARIN would reclaim all relevant number resources and terminate the
> associated (now defunct) membership?

Also correct – we do use an extra degree of caution when it comes to resources that are
actively routed; it doesn’t change the outcome but does provide another lead to pursue
and potentially evidence of actual customers that might be impacted.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO