[arin-ppml] Deceased Companies?

William Herrin bill at herrin.us
Mon Jul 25 17:42:26 EDT 2022

On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 2:28 PM John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
> "Creation of ARIN will give the users of IP numbers (mostly Internet service providers, corporations and other large institutions) a voice in the policies by which they are managed and allocated within the North American region.”
>
> Internet Moves Toward Privatization, National Science Foundation, June 1997 <https://www.nsf.gov/news/news_summ.jsp?cntn_id=102819>
>
> If you’re a legacy resource holder, it’s best to recognize that ARIN’s formation was precisely so
> that you could gain the ability to participate & gain a voice in policy development for management
> of the registry (as opposed to having it set by some US government contractor or bureaucrat.)
> i.e. it’s a lot less murky than you suggest.

Hi John,

Respectfully, you're dissembling here, offering a claim that's a half
truth at best. To secure the community's cooperation at the time, ARIN
repeatedly promised that it would not apply any new policies to the
legacy registrations absent the legacy registrants' consent. We can
both find the aspirational documents surrounding ARIN's creation but
the legal documents at no point transfer to ARIN the authority to
alter the preceding grants.

Regards,
Bill Herrin

--