[arin-ppml] Deceased Companies?

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Mon Jul 25 14:35:08 EDT 2022

> On 25 Jul 2022, at 2:09 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:
>
> On Mon, Jul 25, 2022 at 8:02 AM Fernando Frediani <fhfrediani at gmail.com> wrote:
>> Question here John: if the resources are legacy and they were assigned
>> before ARIN existence, these resources should ideally be reverted back
>> to IANA which in turn should apply the Post Exhaustion Global Policy
>> from May 6th 2021 and re-distribute these blocks to all RIRs ?
>
> Hi Fernando,
>
> John can correct me if I'm wrong but as far as I know, ARIN has NEVER
> reclaimed legacy resources which were neither voluntarily returned nor
> then operating under a specific registrant contract with ARIN (such as
> the LRSA).

Bill -

You are incorrect. ARIN has reclaimed legacy resources, as legacy number resource
assignments are just a limited set of rights to entries in ARIN’s registry database and
subject to the same policies as all other registrants.

You seem to believe in some magic essence that precludes ARIN from administering its
own registry database – good luck with that – you might do better with an actual contract.

(I note that the vast majority of such cases involving revocation of legacy resources had
resources that creatively hijacked in one form or another, and the “registrant” that had
operational control disappears rather contest the revocation – thus leaving ARIN free to
see if we can find the bona fide registrant or legal successor…)

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO