[arin-ppml] Privacy of ARIN registry data (was: Re: Reclamation of Number Resources)

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Mon Jul 18 09:04:34 EDT 2022

In message <6D0E26DD-2B7D-49F3-9889-6B2D0CC41956 at arin.net>,
John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

>If you wish the ARIN registry to obtain and/or publish "the names and full
>contact information of any and all officers, directors, shareholders, and/or
>legal representatives of any given member", you would need to propose a policy
>that clearly notes the necessary purpose for the collection and processing
>for this information, and have the ARIN community concur and adopt said
>policy.

Yes.

But how about a policy of ARIN just publishing the name & contact info of
each natural person representative of each legal entity that is an ARIN
member and who filed the membership application?   You already have that
information in your files, so there is no issue of "collecting" that
because you already have it, agreed?

>Absent such a policy, what you seek would represent a fairly significant
>departure from what are becoming commonly accepted principles for personal
>data privacy and processing of personally identifiable information.

Baloney!  "Commonly accepted principles for personal data privacy and
processing of personally identifiable information" ??  Where are you
getting this from John?  Europe?  Just because THEY have chosen to
shoot themselves in the foot with their newfound privacy fetish, that's
no reason why we should.

As I've already noted, the Europeans have brilliantly constructed for
themselves a world in which none of their citizens can even know anymore
if they are living nextdoor to a serial child rapist.

This is not the path that I want to go down.  Is this the path that YOU
want to go down John?

Regards,
rfg