[arin-ppml] Reclamation of Number Resources

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Mon Jul 18 06:26:16 EDT 2022

In message <CAEmG1=qFDkYVaSpbygZsusQVUvvH=y5j_-Zq9OKL4teJdDHSUQ at mail.gmail.com>
Matthew Petach <mpetach at netflight.com> wrote:

>Oy vey.
>
>It almost seems like people don't know how ARIN works.  :(
>
>Look, let's talk in plain and simple language.
>
>When you apply for number resources, you're doing so based on your
>current *and forecasted* needs for up to two years in the future. [0]
>
>When ARIN staff reviews your submission, they're looking at your
>*plans* for the future to evaluate whether those plans fit with the
>NRPM requirements.
>
>They cannot see into the future.

Just to be clear, I was questioning the -membership- in this case... *not*
the resource requests *or* the associated allocations that were ultimately
granted in response to those (resource) requests.

But you are correct that if ARIN had (which I see now John is asserting it
had not, back in 2012) required the prospective member to demonstrate that
it already had a significant presence in the region then that might have
(or might now have, for new applicant) represented a kind of Catch-22
situation where they might have to say "Yes, we *plan* on operating within
the region, and we'll begin doing so AS SOON AS you give us a membership
and some number resources."

I'll be frank in saying that I have no idea how such a Catch-22 could be
or should be resolved.  So I supposed that it is just very fortunate that
it likely doesn't even come up that often.

Regards,
rfg