[arin-ppml] Reclamation of Number Resources

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Jul 14 19:36:58 EDT 2022

On 14 Jul 2022, at 6:28 PM, Paul E McNary <pmcnary at cameron.net<mailto:pmcnary at cameron.net>> wrote:
You keep using the word fraud.
This is not an issue of fraud by my understanding but ARIN POLICY.
Please correct your misuse of your language. PLEASE

Paul -

Within the context of the ARIN community and the ARIN-PPML mailing list, the term “fraud”
refers to ARIN’s defined internet Number Resource Fraud process, as described here –
<https://www.arin.net/reference/tools/fraud_report/> – and as such “fraud” is indeed the proper
term in the context of this discuss.  (Please take note of this usage to avoid confusion in the future.).

Note also that (depending on the particular circumstances), there is often actual contractual fraud
involved as well –  i.e., fraudulent misrepresentations made by a party during entry into the RSA
with ARIN in order to obtain or transfer number resources.   We do not distinguish because it is a
nearly a difference without a distinction when it comes to ARIN’s number resource review processes –
the contractual fraud simply being additional element that may result in criminal prosecution after
number resource revocation by ARIN.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran