[arin-ppml] ARIN Prop 314 - Clean up of NRMP section 2.17

Sylvain Baya abscoco at gmail.com
Thu Jul 14 18:17:06 EDT 2022

Dear ARIN-PPML,
Hoping this email finds you in good health!
Please see my comments below, inline...
Thanks.

Le jeudi 14 juillet 2022, David Conrad <drc at virtualized.org> a écrit :

> > On Jul 14, 2022, at 12:26 PM, William Herrin <bill at herrin.us> wrote:

> >> Administration of the DNS root zone?
> >
> > Hi David,
> >
> > I understood that to be native ICANN (Internet Corporation for
> > Assigned NAMES and Numbers) not an IANA (Internet Assigned NUMBERS
> > Authority) function.P
>
> No.  IANA has always done names as well as numbers.

Hi David,
Thanks for your email, brother.

...just to share the URI [1] which lists their three
most area (functions) of activity:

1. Internet Domain Names
2. Internet Number Resources
3. Internet Protocol Parameter Assignments
__
[1]: <https://www.iana.org/about>

> The ICANN document is accurate.  The IANA is a set of functions, of which
> DNS root zone management is one.  ICANN’s role (other than operating the
> IANA functions via its affiliate PTI) in the context of the DNS is largely
> to create (via the community) and administer (via contracts) policies for
> gTLDs.

...again, i could also add that:

It's the same infrastructure (root servers) which currently carries both
the records of the forward
zones (TLD) and those of the reverse zones (.arpa
for PTR and NAPTR : enum : e.164)...

...but that behaviour is changing [2], and would
result to a *separation* between root & arpa zones.
__
[2]: <https://tools.ietf.org/html/rfc9120>

Shalom,
--sb.