[arin-ppml] Reclamation of Number Resources

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Thu Jul 14 09:40:52 EDT 2022

> On 14 Jul 2022, at 9:15 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:
> What evidence, if any, have you got to the contrary?  Why are you attempting
> to shift blame to this member when it seems altogether apparent that the
> fault lies only and entirely with ARIN staff?

Ronald - If you have a case where you believe that resources were issued incorrectly, please report it.

If you do not believe that resources were issued incorrectly, then do not report it.

I am not sure it could be any simpler.

> You're dodging the questions John.  I have mostly asked a number of very
> generalized questions which have nothing specifically to do with this
> specific member or with this specific case, to wit:
>
>  *)  Has ARIN avoided enforcement of policy against some members out of fear,
>      warranted or otherwise, of litigation?

That’s an easy one - No, ARIN does not avoid policy enforcement our of concern of litigation.

Many in the community would likely find that question amusing, as it is fairly well-known that
ARIN is both quite familiar with litigation and has a proven track record of success.

>      If not, then please specify how many members have had their memberships
>      revoked OTHER THAN in cases of non-payment of fees and/or cases of
>      outright, blatant, and legally actionable fraud (e.g. Micfo)?

I do not believe that there are a significant number cases of resource revocation for reasons other
than non-payment, dissolution, or Internet number resource fraud.  (Offhand to me, it is unclear why
ARIN would have a significant number of resources revoked for any reasons aside from the above…)

>  *)  How many more memberships are currently sitting on ARIN's books that,
>      as in this case, obviously should never have been there, and what
>      effort, if any, will ARIN now expend to find them and to terminate
>      the memberships involved?

None that I am aware of – please let us know if you are aware of any such cases.

>  *)  In light of the facts of this case, what will ARIN now do to strengthen
>      the vetting process, going forward, for new memberships?

We have no "facts of this case" because there is not report of any Internet number resource
fraud occurring.

You seem to simultaneous allege policy violations in the issuance but also decline to make
a report so that we can investigate.

> It probably doesn't hurt also that 99% of all ARIN members are entirely blaise
> when it comes to the topic of policy enforcement generally.  But I guess you
> could just call me old-fashioned.  I have this old school belief that if
> an organization is going to go to all the trouble to write down a set of
> policies, then it really ought to take them seriously.
>
> That quite clearly DID NOT HAPPEN in the case of 1337 Services LLC (SL-206).

You assert such on this mailing list, but when asked to report the violation of policy you decline  –
that is your choice.

Thanks!
/John

John Curran