[arin-ppml] Reclamation of Number Resources

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Fri Jul 8 08:56:13 EDT 2022

> On 8 Jul 2022, at 12:52 AM, Ronald F. Guilmette <rfg at tristatelogic.com> wrote:
>
> In message <7F1C6797-F050-4424-A26A-385B14A0E2AE at arin.net>,
> John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:
>
>>      *)  Violation(s) of out-of-region usage policy.
>>

>> Such has not to my knowledge (and quite unlikely to occur, as "ARIN registered
>> resources may be used outside the ARIN service region."
>> <https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/nrpm/#9-out-of-region-use>
>
> Thank you John.
>
> I just want to be sure that I am clear on this point.  The relevant section
> of the NRPM, which you linked to, states:
>
>    "Out of region use of ARIN registered resources are valid justification
>    for additional number resources, provided that the applicant has a real
>    and substantial connection with the ARIN region which applicant must
>    prove (as described below) ..."
>
>    "A real and substantial connection shall be defined as carrying on
>    business in the ARIN region in a meaningful manner."
>
> (A lengthy list of possible means of demonstrating exactly such a "substantial
> connection" to the region is then elaborated.)
>
> The above, together with your statement, leaves me with two questions:
>
>    1)  The NRPM Section 9 verbiage I have quoted above is explicit in placing
>        a restriction upon ARIN, apparently prohibiting it from assigning
>        "additional number resources" to applicants that lack "a real and
>        substantial {and provable} connection with the ARIN region".
>
>        Perhaps I am just reading too much into this, but the way in which
>        this section of the NRPM is worded certainly appears to give license
>        to ARIN to provide *initial* assignments/allocations of number
>        resources to parties or entities that entirely lack any real,
>        substantial, and/or provable connection with the ARIN region, and
>        that the NRPM policy, as written, only prohibits ARIN from provding
>        resources to entities or parties which have no substantial connection
>        to the region AND that are coming back for "additional" resources,
>        presumably after they have already been assigned some such by ARIN.
>
>        Am I reading that right and is that your interpretation also?

ARIN does not issue resources to organizations absent a real and substantial connection to the ARIN region.

>    2)  Am I to understand that in the entire history of ARIN, or at least
>        in the entire history of the above-quoted in-region "substantial
>        connection" requirement, there have actually been a grand total of
>        zero instances in which any party or entity had their ARIN resources
>        reclaimed on the basis that the party or entity in question was found
>        to have no substantial connection to the region?

Parties lacking a substantial connection to our service region should not have been issued resources by ARIN,
so it is quite unlikely that they would be revoked on that basis - any such revocation would be because of the
fraudulent application that asserts "a real and substantial connection to the ARIN region” despite reality.

> As should be apparent, this latter point/question may have some relevance to
> the ongoing controversies wthin the AFRINIC region.

It is unclear if the questions have any relevance at all to that matter, as the community in the AFRINIC region is
best suited to determine the number resource policies appropriate in that region.

Thanks,
/John

John Curran
President and CEO