[arin-ppml] Deceased Companies?

Ronald F. Guilmette rfg at tristatelogic.com
Wed Aug 10 18:51:28 EDT 2022

In message <08E5CE04-437C-476E-8929-EC1DB4BBB8B7 at arin.net>,
John Curran <jcurran at arin.net> wrote:

>> I remind you also that official California State records indicate that this company has
>> been dead and dissolved for TEN YEARS.
>>
>> Would you care to explain John?
>
>Please note that the company in question is _suspended_ not dissolved.  As previously
>noted, there is a significant difference ? ARIN does not act against organizations solely
>on the basis of their corporate status being suspended, as it can easily be the result of
>tax filing delay, etc.

I stand correscted and thus owe you, John, my profuse and abject apology.

You're right, and I now have to hang my head in shame, not only because I was wrong
about the exact status of this company in official California records, but also
because I'm embarassed that my own home state of California, in its infinite
wisdom, has apparently elected to allow companies that fail to meet their legal
obligations to the state to continue to exist in this sort-of goofy (but apparently
reversable) zombie "suspended" state for as long as ten years or longer.  (I will be
having a word or two about this with my State Senator and my State Representative.)

Other states, e.g. Colorado and others, do in fact take binding and irreversable
legal action against companies that fail in their minimal obligations to their
home states, but not California.  Given that sad fact, I have to agree that there
are serious limitations on what ARIN can do or may do with respect to the perennial
zombie that is Centauri Communications and/or any other such zombie corporate entities
that are similarly situated.

That all having been said, I think that I still do have a valid point in saying
that the community and/or the management could, if either wished to do so, reclaim
resources from entities that have indeed been fully, irreversably, and legally
dissolved.

Regards,
rfg