[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2021-6: Permit IPv4 Leased Addresses for Purposes of Determining Utilizatio

Sylvain Baya abscoco at gmail.com
Tue Aug 9 10:07:49 EDT 2022

Dear ARIN-PPML,

Please find my comments below; inline...

Le lundi 8 août 2022, Andrew Dul <andrew.dul at quark.net> a écrit :

> ARIN Draft Policy 2021-6 was retitled earlier this year as “Permit IPv4
> Leased Addresses for Purposes of Determining Utilization for Future
> Allocations” and

Hi Andrew,
Thank you for your email, brother!

...i want to recall that the INRS (Internet Numbers
Resource System) [1] directs us about which entity
are delegated/designated to, regionally and locally,
distribute INRs to other Orgs in need-basis. These
are RIR, LIR/NIR & ISP :-/
Yes! sub-allocations/assignments exist! Why not
simply use it?

Also, INRs are not properties...

imho! leasing opposes to need-basis utilization;
unless it's fully managed by the delegated RIR,
who's not really bound to need-basis constraint the
same manner as LIRs are.

If there is a *need* for a "leasing" policy; then imho,
it would be to help in solving community problems;
 and not individual ones.

An example of a community problem could be:
"shortening the INR's wainting list".

|Q1. Which Org *should* be eligible to obtain INRs
| in lease?
|
| A1. In order to obtain INRs in lease, from the RIR,
| an Org *must* join the INRs Waiting List and check
| the LIAL (List of INRs Available for Leasing)
| option.
|
|Q2. Which Org *must* be allowed to provide INRs
| for lease?
| Which Resource Holder should provide INRs
| through leasing; in order to satisfy others' needs?
|
| A2. If, after one year of holdering INRs, an Org is
| not able to use 40 % of the numbers allocated to
| it; then part of the other 60 % should join a List of
| INRs Available for Leasing (LIAL); in order to not
| fall under | the policy trap regarding minimum
| utilization. After three years these unused INRs
| join automatically the LIAL list.
|
|Q3. What's the benefit of Orgs which provide the
| INRs they hold for lease?
|
| A3. If it's true that a resource holder who have not
| used a given percentage of its allocated/assigned;
| INRs would see those INRs reclaimed; then a draft
| policy which could help them to hold those INRs
| for more long would be of great help...imho :-/
|
|Q4. ...
|
| A4. ...

Would it solve a community problem?
What's the community problem to solve?

Please share your own thoughts; even to contradict
mine :-)

Shalom,
--sb.

--