[arin-ppml] Deceased Companies

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Mon Aug 8 19:24:22 EDT 2022

On 8/8/2022 7:07 AM, Fernando Frediani wrote:
> Yes agree it is not possible, but in real practice world it is not
> reasonable someone with such a large chunk IPv4 address at this stage
> keep using them for internal proposes, although I hardly believe that is
> the case.

Actually it is very reasonable.  If you have a million IPv4 numbers
behind a router that are public, your CPU processing needs on your
firewall or firewalls are vastly lower than if all those million IPv4
numbers are translated.

Of course, if you have a million internal hosts you are handling you
should absolutely for sure be running IPv6 on all of them.

> IPv4 exhaustion to everybody and the feeling I have is that there are
> still large holders with idle resources for years keeping them for
> nothing.

I think that the largest holders in the world are the cell phone
carriers.  I just pulled my phone out, a Samsung S9, and went to
www.whatismyip.com.   It's public IPv4 is 174.253.195.213.   It's public
IPv6 is "Not Detected"   That IP is a Verizon number.  It is, IMHO,
disgraceful that one of the largest cell carriers in North American is
still not pushing IPv6 numbers to their subscribers.

> In my view that is not a reasonable thing for the entire
> Internet community. What good does it to do Internet for now or even in
> long term ?

What is unreasonable is the idiocy of telecommunications companies
who claim "internet access is our business" to be still so myopically
focused on IPv4 that today, in 2022, worrying about scavenging IPv4 is
even still a "thing"

Ted