[arin-ppml] Deceased Companies?

Ted Mittelstaedt tedm at ipinc.net
Thu Aug 4 20:01:27 EDT 2022

On 7/26/2022 12:50 PM, John Curran wrote:

> if such a case were brought to our attention and the
> resources were not being used, we’d revoke.  If they were in use, we’d try to reach the party
> using them first (as there may be a legal successor after all and we just didn’t identify that
> properly.)

I'm jumping in a bit late but this is sheer baloney. (I'd use a stronger
word if I could)

I have used the block 199.248.255.0/24 previously on this list in the
past as an example of ARIN's nonsense when it comes to reclaiming old
blocks and to embarrass John Curran when he claims ARIN is cleaning house.

This block is NET-199-248-255-0-1

It has 2 POCs on it that state right in the ARIN database that they are
currently unvalidated.  So already it is in violation of the NRPM

It has a valid street address on it for Leatherman Tools.  That is
because LT used this block 2 decades ago (actually more than that) for a
year or so to connect to their then-ISP, Internet Partners.

LT has zero interest in this block.  They ARE contactable.  They don't
use this block.  If ARIN contacted them they would be like "ARIN who?
We get our IP's from our current ISP Wonkulating Gronkulator we don't
know what you are talking about nor do we care.  By the way would you
like to buy one of our outdoor knives and gut some fish?"

ARIN could spend 10 minutes on the phone with these guys to ascertain
that they are not using it.  They aren't jack-holes, they answer the
phone.  And if I am wrong, and they ARE using it, then ARIN could kindly
inform their IT group to get off the pot and put a valid POC on the
block and sign the Legacy number agreement.

I have no doubt there are thousands of these tiny legacy blocks
scattered through the IPv4 number space.  But since they are small ARIN
thinks they aren't worth going after.  So ARIN just ignores them.  But
what this ignores is that added together these blocks make up a LOT of
IPv4.  And it also ignores that spammers love to squat on stuff like this.

I'm a strong IPv6 supporter.  Mailservers on my newer domains are all
IPv6 compliant.  As is my website.  I have published many help guides
and so on to assist IPv6 connectivity for people.  My last IPv6 guide
for Comcast/Xfinity copper connections that I uploaded to Comcast's
website is apparently authoritative enough for Comcast to refer people
to it.

But to claim that there's no need for IPv4 is poppycock, and to pretend
these small blocks are not worth going after is more nonsense.   ARIN
needs to do a better job of housekeeping.  Maybe assign some of your
interns to it instead of making coffee LOL.

I have no doubt this block will still be hanging out in the bit bucket
the next time this topic comes up for me to embarass ARIN's claims they
are working on the problem.

<major eyeroll>

Ted Mittelstaedt
Portlandia Cloud Services