[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2021-8: Deprecation of the 'Autonomous System Originations' Field

John Curran jcurran at arin.net
Wed Apr 27 08:16:04 EDT 2022

On 26 Apr 2022, at 7:45 PM, Martin Hannigan <hannigan at gmail.com<mailto:hannigan at gmail.com>> wrote:

On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 6:20 PM Andrew Dul <andrew.dul at quark.net<mailto:andrew.dul at quark.net>> wrote:
Legacy holders have the option to add records to ARIN’s authenticated irr. It only requires them to sign an lrsa or rsa. In my opinion it is time for the free ride for legacy holders to end.

Then why doesn’t ARIN make it easy for them to not risk losing their pre-ARIN allocation?

Martin -

Could you elaborate some on what you mean by "risk losing their pre-ARIN allocation”?

To my knowledge, a legacy resource holder cannot lose their number resource for any reason that is different than those applicable other ARIN members, and in fact, has one additional feature to prevent such in the RSA – specifically,  if the legacy resource holder pursues arbitration and the arbitration result is found against ARIN, the RSA provides the legacy number resources will resume the status they had prior to entry into the agreement. (https://www.arin.net/about/corporate/agreements/rsa.pdf, section 13(c))

I.e., if you could add some context to the purported risk that’s in the way, that might help with working towards resolving this concern.  Given the same terms and conditions as any other member, and the very beneficial price cap, and the special exit conditions to protect their interests, it’s not obvious how much more and/or what exactly is being sought here...

Thanks!
/John

John Curran
President and CEO