[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2021-8: Deprecation of the 'Autonomous System Originations' Field

James Hulce james.hulce at students.tesu.edu
Tue Apr 26 15:06:49 EDT 2022

snipped, with inline comments
On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 1:07 PM Job Snijders via ARIN-PPML
<arin-ppml at arin.net> wrote:
> I'm the one who initiated the process towards ARIN-2021-8. I've put in
> considerable effort to find a purpose and use for the ARIN Originations
> field in automated tool chains, and ultimately concluded the field has
> so many apparent challenges it might be better to get rid of it,
> especially since IRR and RPKI nowadays exist.
Job, thanks for coming here to explain your perspective. I, for one,
was surprised to see your name attached to the original policy
proposal given all of your past work in this space.

> On Tue, Apr 26, 2022 at 11:53:58AM -0500, David Farmer via ARIN-PPML wrote:
> > While I do not support the deprecation of the 'Autonomous System
> > Originations' Field from the database at this time for many of the reasons
> > discussed at the microphone at ARIN 49.
>
> Unfortunatey, I wasn't there. Would you be so kind to outline the many
> reasons in an email?
My comment: Oppose this proposal at this time. The Autonomous System
Origination field in ARIN Whois occupies a peculiar yet potentially
valuable place in the routing information landscape. It provides an
easy and authenticated way for everyone, including legacy resource
holders, to communicate their routing intentions. OriginAS does not
suffer from other problems associated with IRR, such as proxy records
or multiple disparate databases. Several organizations, networks, and
exchanges report using the OriginAS field to generate filters and
perform other operational tasks despite consumption issues. Without
much known about its uptake, usage, accuracy, and role, deprecation
would be premature.  (generally summarized my PPML post from last
week)

Attempting to outline what others said:
There was general agreement around the point that ARIN Whois OriginAS
is a unique, weird legacy thing and should go away eventually. There
is a desire to eventually reach RPKI's promised land and retire all of
the earlier outmoded and problematic routing information sources.
However, we are not there yet. People from several organizations,
including Lumen (nee CenturyLink & Level 3) and Internet2, expressed
current operational dependencies. It has notable LOA use cases.
Several commentators floated a three-year wind-down period as part of
a broader transition to RPKI and authenticated IRR. I agree with that.
OriginAS is intertwined with other ongoing ARIN discussions, including
handling legacy resources and a la carte/standalone vs bundled
registry services. Right now, there's a vast ocean of legacy resource
holders locked out of ARIN's IRR and RPKI because they can't or won't
sign an LRSA. This pool is gradually decreasing, but will be a
consideration for a while yet. How do legacy resource holders proceed
if/when OriginAS goes away?
Those who were in attendance or watching: did I miss anything?

> > Nevertheless, as discussed in the problem statement this field has
> > several problems and it eventually needs to be deprecated. However,
> > since this is an optional field within the ARIN database, without any
> > enforcement actions required by policy, it seems possible to remove
> > section 3.5 from the NRPM at this time, without also deprecating the
> > field at this time.
> >
> > Further, this would set things up for the future deprecation of the
> > 'Autonomous System Originations' Field from the database to proceed when
> > the community feels that is appropriate, as expressed through a separate
> > ARIN Consultation Process, without necessitating additional policy actions.
> >
> > If this policy proposal were modified to only remove section 3.5 from the
> > NRPM at this time, with the deprecation of the 'Autonomous System
> > Originations' Field from the database occurring at some future date, to be
> > determined at a later time by the ARIN community, I would support this
> > policy proposal proceeding forward.
>
> Why do you favor a separate consultation?

So, this is kind of a weird one. Technically, ARIN services are out of
the PDP scope [1]. However, ARIN's collection and distribution of AS
origination information is enshrined in the NRPM. Whether or not the
existence of Whois OriginAS and NRPM 3.5 are necessarily coupled is
not fully clear to me. I interpreted them as one and the same and I
think much of the community did as well. Notably, some other
informational services have no NRPM mention at all. There's zero
mention of RPKI, for example. Someone from ARIN or the AC could
clarify this point.

All in all, I could support a future/revised proposal eventually
getting rid of OriginAS. Here's what needs to happen, from my view:
First, we need usage info to quantify what's at stake here. What is
the real usage and impact of OriginAS? Who would be most impacted by
deprecation?
Second, everyone must have viable alternatives.
Third, the wind-down should take lessons from ARIN-Nonauth. Publicize
it well, offer support, and take it slow. This policy proposal was
flying under the radar and proposed an overly fast timeline.

- James

[1] https://www.arin.net/participate/policy/pdp/#3-1-policies-not-processes-fees-or-services