[arin-ppml] Draft Policy ARIN-2021-8: Deprecation of the 'Autonomous System Originations' Field

Chris Caputo ccaputo at alt.net
Tue Apr 26 12:42:23 EDT 2022

On Fri, 22 Apr 2022, James Hulce via ARIN-PPML wrote:
> Draft Policy ARIN-2021-8: Deprecation of the 'Autonomous System
> Originations' Field [1] has received scant discussion so far [2].
[...]

In my opinion as the developer of the SeattleIX/SIX's strict route server
filtering technology...

RPKI is secure and thus preferred over OriginAS whois. The OriginAS data
we use is synthesized from the whois data by a third party and thus is
subject to tampering. Even if we queried directly from ARIN, there is a
risk of man-in-the-middle attacks.

At the SIX, we prioritize RPKI information over IRR and ARIN OriginAS
data. Details of this are at: https://www.seattleix.net/rs-drops

The retirement of OriginAS as a trusted source of data should happen since
RPKI is a superior cryptographically secure replacement. That said, for
legacy space not covered by an LRSA, it would be good to have a
cryptographically secure source of truth via the ARIN RPKI hierarchy.

Thanks,
Chris