[arin-ppml] The annual limit on total maintenance fees for legacy number resources under the ARIN fee schedule

hostmaster at uneedus.com hostmaster at uneedus.com
Fri Apr 15 01:28:22 EDT 2022

Sorry for the typo, the block is 192.68.112.0/24.  I am used to RFC1918
space, and that block number is NOT RFC1918 space. I typoed the netblock.

I am aware of Berea College, and know that they do not pay for this legacy
block.  I did notice another block associated with them when I just did a
lookup, but seeing as it appears to be part of Google Cloud, I am assuming
this block is being used by Google to support their school, and Google
therefore shows it associated with their ASN.

The school effectively does not charge tuition, and pays its expenses from
an endowment that it has.  However, it would appear that does not include
the expense of paying ARIN anything for their legacy block from that
endowment, choosing instead to spend it on their students. I believe that
they have avoided the fees by not signing.

The shoehorning of 7+ billion people into 3.2 billion IP addresses has
left us with a have and have not situation, where those with the luck to
obtain large class "A" blocks or otherwise obtain early address space or
have lots of cash to buy space have better connectivity then those who
have come to the network later.

This is why I like IPv6, since it totally eliminates the shortage of space
and brings us back to the days before address conservation was a thing
because everyone effectively gets a block larger than those early class
"A" blocks, and NAT, CIDR, and other such hacks to conserve address space
are no longer needed.

The majority of my network traffic travels via IPv6, and this is because
most of the sites on the internet with the most traffic have placed AAAA
records, and therefore their traffic counts in the IPv6 column.

If we could just get the total a bit higher, we might reach a tipping
point that would drive universal IPv6 adoption.  However I do believe that
there are forces that are actively working against IPv6 adoption, because
it is a threat to their internet dominance, as well as the money these
players have poured into buying IPv4 space.

Widespread adoption of IPv6 WILL crash the value of those IPv4
investments.  What is good for the community, which is a universal
network with plenty of address space available to everyone goes against
the position of others that would like to turn the internet back into a
one way service like Compuserve or AOL.

However that widespread adoption of IPv6 helps in other ways to the
majority, lowering costs and allowing more voices to join the network. A
more open and available network I think is the answer.  I think money is
better supporting an expanded IPv6 network, rather than trying to figure
out how to shoehorn even more users into 3.2 billion address block by
worrying how to "recover" that legacy space.

Albert Erdmann
Network Administrator
Paradise On Line Inc.